Sunday 16 November 2014

Heights of Misery

What is your scariest nightmare? How about being grounded at home for a month or failing in all the subjects or embarrassing yourself in front of your crush or losing someone you love?? 

I’m not very worried about any of these. For me it’s when my cells die! By saying cells, I’m not talking about those in my body. They die out everyday and I don’t give a shit about them. You see, I’m growing some live neural cells called N2a cells and breast cancer cells called T47D cells in my lab. These kinds of human cells are grown so that drugs can be tested on them like on lab rats. Unless the drugs are tested in live human tissues, they cannot be approved in FDA for selling in the market.

And so coming back, I grow a few flasks of these cells as a part of my project. Growing cells can be the toughest job on earth! They just refuse to grow in flasks if you forget to give them the required nutrition in the right time or if they think their personal space is being encroached by other cells and they need a new flask for themselves every time they produce new ones. And they simply go on strike and starve to death if they have to share the flask with other fungi or prions. Those selfish little pigs!

It’s frustrating how a little spore of fungi can kill almost all the flask of cells in the lab. As I carefully give them good food, space, carbon di oxide (Yea! They absolutely love it) and humidity and watch over them everyday and one fine day I come to the lab to see them all dead!! Oh my babies!!! :’(


Life is CRUEL!!

4 comments:

  1. just realised there are more things in life to worry about apart from my exam scores.......like cells dying? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. People everywhere trying to kill cancer but you growing cancer in lab XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to grow them first to figure out how to kill them. Oh, the irony of life!:D

      Delete