Wednesday 19 November 2014

When moms lie

All of us know lying is bad. But that doesn’t stop us from saying lies. Who taught you that lying is bad? In most cases, it’s our parents! But when they themselves lie, how can they expect us not to!!
The most annoying lie is when my mom calls us all for dinner. But when I leave everything half done and rush to the dining table hungry, she asks me to set up the table and get the plates ready. The sight of the whistling rice cooker and the curry brewing on the stove makes you want to scream!!
Other times, when my parents are out and I am feeling bored at home; when I call them up and ask them when they’ll be home, my mom says, ”Just half an hour sweetie, tidy up the house and we’ll be there by the time you finish it.” Then after 2 hours, when I call her back with a not very clean house, she says, “15 more minutes. Is the house clean now?” So I hang up and decide not to call her ever again!
Many times when I’m commenting on how terrible my sister’s hair looks, my mom comes to her rescue and says, “Don’t listen to her darling! You look gorgeous” And I’m sitting there rolling my eyes at my sister! Seriously Mom, I’m never going to trust you when you comment on how I look in my new dress!!
Sometimes when there are limited sweets or some delicacy that everybody at home loves, my parents tell the most unbelievable lie. When I and my sister are almost done finishing the whole thing, I suddenly remember and ask, ”Mom! Did you eat any of this Gulab Jamun?” and the answer comes back spontaneous, “Yeah baby, I had it when u were not watching, you eat now! “ And I gobble down the remaining, being the considering daughter that I am!!
When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me to finish all my vegetables in my plate. She used to say eating vegetables will give me better brains and nightvision. So I trusted her and ate all those green grossy things. But I still cannot see in the dark and my intelligence only seems to be deteriorating inspite of the amount of greens my brain has eaten!
See Mom? When we love someone we tend to say a lot of lies to protect them from the truth! That’s why I lie to you. I don’t want you to get hurt when you come to know your daughter hasn’t been very good today. You lie and I lie. So we’re equal now!!

2 comments:

  1. this reminded me of my momma...!! she is old and weak now . i know this post will make her smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm glad u like it! I hope ur mom likes it too! :D

      Delete